Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Dear Thyroid

Monday as I awoke I felt the soreness of my body waking with me, I wanted to go back to sleep and pretend it didn't exist. I came to the sad realization that today I am bed ridden. I am feeling quite foggy, my head ache has decided to be persistent as an bull, and there are tiny stabbing sharp pains running through my hand, wrist, neck, back and both legs. I have eaten breakfast but by the time lunch came my stomach was quite clear that food wasn't a great idea today. So I went on with the things I can still do from bed, I reviewed all my class notes, and emailed another student to get the ones I missed monday morning. I read for four hours through some interesting text books. Next I pushed on to what else I can do from bed and so in spite of the lack of interest the doctors have, I am researching what else this could be. 


Interesting fact: This disorder, Hashimoto's is believed to be the most common cause of primary hypothyroidism in North America. An average of 1 to 1.5 in a 1000 people have this disease.


And so today is Tuesday, I with a temperature and cold sweats, it was disgusting to say the least. my stomach ached, and the pain,...o the pain, it hurts. Yet, I pushed on again in bed but not beaten. I did my reviewing of notes, sketched a bit, and o how much I've grown so fond of knitting. Its this beautiful task of making a scarf I can wear, in which all the enjoyment comes from making it. As it provides me with a hobby that makes me feel like I'm still doing something in spite of being too sick to actually do something. With each few finely knitted rows I see progress, I see accomplishment, and must importantly I see hope. Hope that I am still a capable person in which bad days only amount to a longer scarf and not defeat. And soon those bad days that go into this scarf will be a wonderful warm treasure in the winter.  :)


Dear thyroid you stopped me from going to work, and yesterday from going to school, and the weeks and months before you took countless other activities from me. But just because you have some control over my body does not mean you win, my God is bigger than you. Yet, what ever is going on in there, may have fooled the doctors, but it has not fooled me. Oh my dear Thyroid, I want you to know although we fight daily, I know it's not all your fault. Your sick and I feel bad that something is attacking you, and that you have some ugly bumps. I wish I could make you better and we both know how hard I've tried. Some days it's just hard I know, we're in this together, and we'll push on to find out what else is going wrong in this old body. Gets some rest you dear foe of mine for tomorrow off to the doctor we go!


-ElysiaB

No comments:

Post a Comment