Saturday, June 7, 2014

Monday’s ‘Musement

Or walked into a room only to wonder what you were doing there?

Or started to say something only to realize you have no idea what you were talking about?

A number of years ago (and I really and truly was a lot younger then), I was at work, and looking for my reading glasses.  Not on my desk that I could see.  Not on my head that I could feel.  Not in any drawers that I opened.  I literally patted and lifted FLAT pieces of paper to see if they were underneath.  Walked around the office to check other desk space – nowhere to be seen.  I even walked down to the break room to see if I’d left them sitting there, even though I was sure I’d used them since my last break.  My co-worker asked me what I was looking for.  When I told her, she just pointed……….you’re not going to believe this one!

There they were hanging around my neck from the new glasses cords that I’d just put on that day!

I did not look this cool!  I did not feel this confident!  I just felt silly!

And the worst thing is – it’s getting worse!  You have no idea how many times in any given day I wander all over the house wondering where I put my glasses this time.  No idea how many times in any given day I have to retrace my steps to figure out what I was planning to do.  No idea how many times in any given day I start to say something and can’t remember what I was talking about!  No idea how many times in any given day I start one thing, think of something else I’d planned to do, and completely forget the first and go on to the second, only to stop again and start another project – so easily distracted.

Did you hear about the 3 elderly men, sitting around the table?  One says, ‘I’m going upstairs for a bath’, and heads out of the room.  He gets upstairs and calls down, ‘What did I come up here to do?’  The second says, ‘He’d forget his head if it wasn’t screwed on.  I better go help him.’  And he heads upstairs – part way there, he calls down, ‘Was I going up or coming down?’  The third sitting at the table, answers, ‘You were on your way up!’  Then, saying to himself, ‘I sure hope I never get as bad as those two, knock on wood,’ and he knocks on the table.  Immediately he stands up, heads toward the door, muttering, ‘Now who could that be?’

Then there’s the story of the elderly couple who went to visit their doctor, complaining that they were having a lot of difficulty remembering things.  The doctor suggested that they write things down, that might help them.  A few evenings later, they were watching TV, when the man said, ‘I’m going to get some ice cream.  Do you want some?’  The lady said that she’d like some, yes, and please put some nuts on top.  The man said that sounded good, and the lady said ‘add some chocolate sauce to that, and do you want to write it down so you don’t forget?’  The man scoffed and said he could surely remember ice cream with nuts and chocolate sauce.  The lady asked for some whipped cream also, and again suggested he write it all down, and again the man said he could surely remember this from the living room to the kitchen.  Several minutes later, he returned from the kitchen with a plate of scrambled eggs.  The lady looked at it and said, ‘I knew you’d forget the bacon!’

A few days ago, my DIL was here and looking at the jigsaw puzzle I’d been working on. She complimented me on continuing to use my brain to stave off Alzheimer’s. Well, not sure but I think maybe it’s here. 

Guess I’ll go and……………….. I forget, what day is it, what do I have to do today???                    Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment