Thursday, June 5, 2014

Wednesday’s Words and Hodgepodge

It’s Wednesday again – time to let you in on some more of life in our home.  Want to see what others answer to these questions, please follow the link on my side-bar.

1. Are you doing anything special to mark this season of Advent? If so, please share.

Advent is always special in our house.  From the first Christmas together, we’ve had an Advent wreath, with candles, lighting the successive candle each week.  When our children were young, we read a part of the Christmas story.  Now, we continue the tradition with a few moments of quiet contemplation of our Lord and His gifts to us now and in the past year.

009

2. Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen...and of course you recall, that most famous reindeer of all...so which reindeer name best describes you this week?

Well, I’m not moving all that fast these days, so definitely not Dasher, Comet or Cupid; I don’t have the grace and agility to be Dancer or Prancer; I’m no Vixen, no matter what meaning you place on the word; and not loud or flashy like the thunder and lightning of Donner and Blitzen.  Hmmm……  I guess I’m Olive (‘Olive (all off) the other reindeer…).  Olive trees are symbols of peace and I would like to be just that in the lives of those around me, especially at this time of year when we celebrate the Peace of God.

3. What's worse-too quiet or too loud?  Which have you had more of lately?

Too loud – I find it so difficult to hear when there’s a lot of noise around, and then I get just ‘too quiet’.

4. This question comes to you from Zoanna over at A Penchant for Pens-thanks Zo!
When you are administratively gifted, how often do you find yourself not trusting less gifted people to do what they've committed to do?  If you are not so gifted that way, but are reliable, how do you feel when the stronger person (in that area) goes ahead and covers it before giving you a chance to come through?

Whew, this is very introspective……I can tend to take over when I’m not sure that the other person will be able to see through their commitment, but I learned in my administrative working years, to make myself sit back and let the other person do what they need to do.  It’s better for both of us.  And I know how demeaning it is to have somebody take over when they have a greater ability and/or don’t think you can do the task (whatever that task is) – I get resentful and angry, sometimes feel like a 2-year-old and want to shout ‘I can do it myself’!

5. What is your most dreaded task relating to the holidays? Your most looked forward to holiday task?

Most dreaded….taking the decorations down and putting them all away again.

Most look forward to…….opening the door when the family and friends arrive to celebrate with us!

6. Facebook has released it's list of the 'most talked about topics' for 2013. Pope Francis took the number one spot. Does that surprise you? He was followed by election, royal baby, typhoon, and Harlem Shake. Your thoughts? What was your most talked about topic in 2013? (Facebook, around the kitchen table, or wherever it is you talk)

Not really sure – maybe babies….it’s been a year of babies in our family with a great-niece and great-nephew added to the family, some concerns with pregnancies, and now our first grand-child expected in the spring.

7. What's something you view as a necessity that others might view as a luxury?

Chocolate – what else does one need if one has chocolate?

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We have snow!  Real snow!  The ground is white, there’s a silence in the air!  I love it!  It’s just enough so we know it’s there, but not enough to bring out the plows.  Not unusual to see a light snow early in December around here, but it usually lasts all of 5 minutes and then it’s gone, not to be seen again until February.  So this snowfall, which is now more than 24 hours old, and shows no sign of leaving anytime soon is unusual.

It’s made for some interesting traffic reports, I must say.  We’re just not used to driving in a lot of snow around here:

Wish I knew where this was, I’d love to steal the signs to put around here:

Drive safely out there, wherever you are, whatever the road conditions.  There’s lots of traffic this time of year, lots of stress, lots of people in a hurry, so slow down, take your time, you’ll get there eventually and you’ll probably get there alive!

Happy winter, Happy Christmas season.          Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment