Thursday, February 27, 2014

Starting up again–a tutorial

After some very lazy days, I finally sat down at my sewing machine.  First project, some bookmarks – and then on to some prep work for a kids’ quilt that I’ve wanted to do for a while.

The bookmarks – a quick and easy project/gift that I had seen at my parents’ home.  They were made for them by one of their quilting friends, and when we stopped by there before Christmas on our way to Alberta, the friend came over and gave me a quick tutorial.  Apparently she bought a special ruler to make these, but I thought I should be able to figure it out without that, and I think I have.

This is the first one that I made a few days ago, and Grizz is using it in his books right now.  I made a few mistakes, but that’s what practice is for isn’t it:

028

These are the four that I finished up today, after I did one, taking pictures so that I could share a tutorial with you.  These ones still need the final edge-stitching:

027

And here’s the one that I made for the tutorial:024

Very easy, and actually very little sewing.

Start with 4 strips of fabric – for the tutorial I used red and purple, but for the others I used 4 different fabrics, and my parents’ friend also used 4 different fabrics in each of the ones that I’ve seen that she has made.

I cut fabric 2 1/2” wide by about 8-9 1/2” long, with the intent to have a finished product 7 1/2” long.  It’s actually important for the finished look to have that 1/2” measurement for the length.

002

Back any two of the strips with fusible web – I use Misty Fuse, but a light Steam-a-seam would work just as well'.  If you look very closely at this picture you can just see the Misty Fuse on the left-hand side.  Placing the iron on the edge of the fabric, and you can pull away the excess fusible web – and as you may be able to tell I’m using a silicon pressing board, very important if you’re not using fabric-backed fusible!001

Place the fused fabric wrong sides together with the un-fused fabric:003

For this purpose the red (fused) strips are shorter than the purple (unfused) strips.  Set aside one set, and fold the other set in half length-wise, and press:

004

Mark a line 1/2” in from the long raw edge (I call this the vertical line).  I used a Fuzion pen for marking because the marks will disappear when pressed afterward:

005

Mark a horizontal line 1 1/2” from one end from the fold to the vertical line:

006

Mark lines at 1” intervals across the width from the marked vertical line to the folded edge, for the length of the folded strip:

008

This creates 6 ‘boxes’ in a 7 1/2” length strip:

009

Then mark diagonal lines from where the folded edge and marked lines meet to the opposite corner of the ‘box’.010

Be sure to make the diagonal lines run toward the 1 1/2” space at the end.  Then mark a second, shorter line from the fold to the horizontal line 1/4” above the already marked diagonal.  Do NOT mark below the last horizontal line:

011

Cut along all the diagonal lines.  Again be sure that you’re cutting from the fold toward the vertical line, with the ‘point’ away from the 1 1/2” space at the ‘top’ end:

012

Open out the folded strip, and press flat:

013

Fold up and finger press the V’s created, then press with your iron:

014015

Pick up the fused strip that was set aside, and determine which fabric you want to show through the cut out spaces:

016017

Put the strips together and secure with a dab of glue:018

Now before proceeding, make sure that if there’s any selvedge on any of these strips, that they will be cut off.  I neglected to do that, and the back of this bookmark has some selvedge at one end (LOL – must laugh at myself!).

Secure the strips together with a line of stitching down the center:019020

Trim all sides 1/2” from the points of the diamonds:

021

022

Using any decorative stitch, sew around all four sides:023024

One last finishing touch – dab Fray Check on the raw edges:025

And when it’s dry – tuck it into your favorite book:026

And, by the way, if you haven’t read this one, it’s well worth the read.  It’s a far cry from her Harry Potter books, and I found it a little difficult to follow until I began to understand some of the British terms, but a very interesting read.

Happy reading!                      Blessings, Peg

No comments:

Post a Comment