Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pumpkin Bread recipe

So after midterms in my exhaustion I summoned the energy to bake as baking is oh so comforting. My Dr. has called and on Dec. 20th I will go in for a very necessary surgery that to be frank scares me. I have been slice and diced before and now I'm short a gallbladder, which is so not cool. The recovery time for this one is 6 weeks as it's quite invasive. So as my nerves jitter I wanted something productive and comforting to do and so I  put two n two together and arrived on the conclusion that:

I like pumpkin bread 
and it is fall 
which equals it is time to eat pumpkin bread :) 

The leaves change as I sort through recipes and my pumpkin stares at me, making me feel guilty for not giving it a greater purpose. But in my searching I have come across a that looks wonderful, upon further research into it I have found the original recipe from which it came. Looking over comments of others who have tried it out I tweaked it a tad here and tweaked it another bit there and so finally below is my altered recipe for delicious pumpkin bread as best I could make. Although being me, I really like to do everything the hard way...just kidding I LOVE learning how to do things from scratch so I scoured the internet and stumbled upon this recipe for making pumpkin bread from scratch. So I followed instructions:

Part One: Make pumpkin puree from my pumpkin
1.) I cut my pumpkin up into 4 quarters
























2.) I gutted the gross gooop out of my pumping
3.) I put the quarters on to baking sheets, preheated the oven for 350 and let it cook for an hour.  


4.)When it comes out scrap off the flesh, which is now musshy and slips off in places where it's bubbled. 


5.) take the chunks of soft mushy pumpkin and put it into a bowl, and start mushing it with a potato masher or fork, then use a hand held mixer to mush the rest up into puree and there you have it pumpkin puree. 



















Part Two: Make pumpkin bread
Since I had soooo much pumpkin I came to a cross roads of problem number 1: half of my pumpkin.... = 6 1/2 cups blue bowl ...recipe calls for 2 cups pumpkin..sooo I doubled the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
6 cups sugar
8 eggs
6 2/3 cups flour
4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder 
3 tsp salt
4 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp nutmeg
5 tbsp ginger (worth it!)
2 tsp cloves 
1 1/3 cups water
4 cups pumpkin


Directions:
1. Cream together margarine, sugar, and eggs.
2. Combine all dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with water and pumpkin.
3. Beat well.
4. Pour into well greased loaf pans or muffin pans 
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 60+ minute for muffins, (for loaves maybe more) or until toothpick comes out clean.




This recipe was wonderful, however my suggestion is that it is baked a bit longer for a oaf as they turned out a tad doughy inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment